Part of the cure for his cancer involves hormones and, yes he is getting a taste of what females deal with all our lives, but if it offers a cure for him, it is worth every minute.  Good article to read if this therapy would be applicable to you or someone you know as it offers a lot of information on what to expect.  BD

Hormone therapy to shrink or slow the growth of prostate cancer is one of the most common treatments for the disease. New York Times editor Dana Jennings, who was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year, talks about his own treatment with the drug Lupron. By Dana Jennings The day after my most recent hormone injection for prostate cancer, I told my wife, Deb, that I had a headache, hot flashes, cramps and was very, very hungry.

Those are just a few of the side effects I’ve been experiencing on Lupron, which is part of the hormonal treatment for my advanced case of prostate cancer. Lupron is a testosterone suppressant, designed to starve hormone-dependent cancer cells of the fuel (testosterone) that they crave in order to grow. My doctors believe, and studies indicate, that using hormonal therapy to complement my radiation treatments, which are scheduled to start next month, will give me a better chance of being cured, of survival. 

Essentially, my Lupron shots are inducing biochemical (but reversible) castration. Besides the hot flashes and shrinking testicles, another potential side effect is that a man’s breasts grow larger and more sensitive. Now, I’ll tell you straight up, no doctor ever sits you down and says, “Son, to cure you, we might have to kind of turn you into a woman.” I suspect that some men would almost rather die than have hot flashes and larger breasts.

You women remember kegeling — the contracting and relaxing of the muscles that make up the pelvic floor, exercises recommended before and after pregnancy. Well, prostate cancer patients need to do them, too, mainly to help improve bladder control.

Real Men Get Prostate Cancer - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

3 comments :

  1. Interesting side effeects, how often/what age do they suggest screening for prostate cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are interesting side effect and on the screening age I think you would be best to ask your doctor and see what he/she says, and you can look around the web to find an entire bulk of information on the topics as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also consider supplements, but talk to your doctor first to make sure it's safe.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative