Although I find this interesting, dogs are are source of tranquility for patients and have a lot to offer for the sense of well being, but having a robotic toy do the same?  Will the children we raise today prefer an electronic pet to a real dog and are we crossing the line here?  I think as the younger generation continues to evolve their careers in the medical business, sometimes item such as this tend to confuse matters in the fact that we lose sight of the fact that we are dealing with real human life and this is not just a toy or game, but rather real technology being used for better health care or to save a life.  BD

WHEN I FIRST MEET PLEO, the tiny dinosaur is curled up on a kitchen table, its long tail and big head pulled inward. It's snoring quietly, emitting a strangely soothing sound, almost like the amplified purring of a guinea pig. I'm tempted to reach out and touch it – but it looks so peaceful, I can't bring myself to disturb it. | Then I realize what I'm doing: I'm worrying about waking up a robot. | Caleb Chung seems to understand my reluctance. "It's OK," the toy's inventor says, motioning to the little green lizard. "You can touch him." But before I do, Pleo wakes up on its own, fluttering open its doelike eyes and lifting its head. There's a barely perceptible whizzing as its 14 internal motors spring into action and it struggles upright, stretching itself to get the kinks out. "You know, all your dogs do that," Chung says as Pleo begins to poke around the table. "They wake up in the morning and go 'ummmm' – just like that." The dino lets out a long, creaky honk.

Wired 15.01: It's Alive!

http://www.pleoworld.com/

Hat Tip:  Engadget

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative